Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Blender Zone, Ep. III: Alien Mothership

So this is the latest Blender project I've been kicking around recently. It took me a few weeks just to settle on the general shape, and detailing it is a learning experience in itself. I finally found Blender's snap function, and it's absolutely saving my life. The new version, 2.63, with it's fully integrated support of n-sided polygons (FINALLY!) is also extremely nice, although it sometimes causes smoothing errors. I could not have done this in the previous versions of Blender, but with the new features it's actually fun. (imagine that...a hobby that you enjoy)
Anyway, here's the latest. You can see the point on the hull where I haven't started detailing it yet. Quite the difference. I've already probably put in 15+ hours on this model...I finally understand why the CG post production on films takes around six months...
(click to see larger)

2 comments: