Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On the Road

Well, it's the morning of day 3 of our grand adventure. We are at an RV park in Gladewater, Texas.
We left on Sunday, and made it part way into Alabama before stopping for the night. On Monday we made it across Mississippi and Louisiana to here in Texas. Now it's Tuesday, and the real fun begins today! First, we're planning to stop in Kaufman to visit some folks (more on that later), and then we're going to head down toward San Antonio to visit a few caves and meet up with some friends down near there.
Our internet is spotty when we're driving, and the laptop is needed a lot for navigation, so this is actually the first time I've had a long period to use the computer with nothing else going on. I'll try to post regularly, but I can't tell when I'll be able to.
Now for some pictures...




Those are all from before we left, but I continued to take pictures once we were on the road.
This is our first night in the RV; somewhere in Alabama.



Then we really pushed it to get on and be done with the deep south.
This is Mississippi. The highways there were actually very nice. This line of trees on the left is actually just a divider between the two sides of the interstate.

I love the huge mirrors on this vehicle...

This is the mighty Mississippi itself. We were over it and left it behind in about thirty seconds. How little we esteem the beauty of nature, sometimes...


Then we were into Louisiana. The change in the topography was abrupt and startling. It was very, very flat.

And here's a church sign from somewhere in Louisiana

And finally, our current location. Altough I suspect that we'll be on the road within the hour.
This is other people...

And this is us:

2 comments:

  1. Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are having a really cool trip!!!!!! I can't believe you get to see all those amazing things! WOW!!! However, I bet the driving must get pretty old...but still! You are in a house on wheels!! Great pictures! I am praying that you and your family have a safe trip! Have fun on the Oregon Trail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went over the Missisippi once on an RV trip. All I could think about was the fact that we were crossing it in less then a minute, whereas in times past, it took hours of preparation, and then a dangerous crossing.
    Aren't big mirror awesome!!!
    Pretty Ford!

    ReplyDelete