Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Grand Canyon; Day Two

Well, this is mostly going to be pictures...again. We spent until about three this afternoon at the Grand Canyon enjoying the sights, so I got a lot of photos. A disclaimer on the photos: the shadows and sun were so extreme that I had to do some slight modification to the pictures in iPhoto. Some side effects of this messing with reality are that the sky might appear gray, and the shadows might not look perfect.
That said, let the pictures commence!
 This tower was built in the 1930s and is designed to resemble an ancient Navahoe watchtower of some kind. From the outside it does the job pretty well, and the inside is painted all over with what looks like indian art.
The tower was the last thing we stopped for at the Grand Canyon. On the way towards Page, where we stopped tonight, we visited a little side canyon. Well, little in comparison. It was hundereds of feet deep, with steeper cliffs than I saw anywhere at the Grand Canyon.
 
The canyon is actually deeper than it looks. That first ledge with the big rock on it is probably thirty feet down, and the bottom where that white strip (the riverbed) is is probably three to four hundred below that.
Anyway, we're in Page, Arizona, right now.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! Um...WOW!! Those are amazing photos! I can't believe how big it is! They are incredible!! Well, have fun on the rest of you adventure!

    ReplyDelete